Within the fields of partial differential equations, optimisation and data assimilation, one is frequently encountered by linear and nonlinear systems of very high dimension and complexity. It is therefore crucial to devise fast and effective algorithms for these systems, to ensure the efficient solution of problems with practical relevance. In this minisymposium we discuss recent developments in the construction of preconditioned iterative methods, for matrix systems arising from these important application areas
Monday 11/07, 10:30–12:30
- Mon 10:30–11:00, Auditorium Max WeberSaddle point formulations and preconditioners for 4D-Var data assimilation problems, Melina Freitag (University of Bath).
- Mon 11:00–11:30, Auditorium Max WeberEstimating optimal covariance matrices in multi-ensemble data assimilation: towards preconditioning EnVar algorithms, Ehouarn Simon (INP Toulouse - IRIT).
- Mon 11:30–12:00, Auditorium Max WeberPreconditioning Newton methods for optimal control problems with sparsity constraints, Margherita Porcelli (University of Florence).
- Mon 12:00–12:30, Auditorium Max WeberA tuning-free Schur complement preconditioner for linear systems arising from PDE-constrained optimization, Sergey Dolgov (University of Bath).
Thursday 14/07, 16:00–18:00
- Thu 16:00–16:30, Auditorium Max WeberLinear Algebra of Time-Dependent PDE-Constrained Optimization, John Pearson (University of Kent).
- Thu 16:30–17:00, Auditorium Max WeberConstraint Preconditioning for Coupled Fluid Flow Problems, Scott Ladenheim (University of Manchester).
- Thu 17:00–17:30, Auditorium Max WeberEfficient solvers for optimal control problems constrained by PDEs with uncertain inputs, Akwum Onwunta (Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems).
- Thu 17:30–18:00, Auditorium Max WeberRegularizing trust-region approaches for ill-posed nonlinear systems and nonlinear least squares, Elisa Riccietti (University of Florence).